Where is Olney? Getting here is easier than you might expect. We are located in Central Montgomery County, on Maryland Route 108 (Olney-Sandy Spring Road) in Olney, Maryland, one and a half miles east of Georgia Avenue (Route 97) and two miles west of New Hampshire Avenue (Route 650). If you're coming from via the ICC we're only 9 minutes from the Georgia Avenue exit (headed west) and 7 minutes from the Layhill Road exit (headed east).
GPS Address: 2001 Olney-Sandy Spring Road, Olney, MD 20832
Parking is FREE!
And thanks to recent renovations, we've added another forty parking spots.
Take the Intercounty Connector (ICC) to Olney Theatre Center:
If you have an EZPass Transponder your trip following many of the routes below (particularly any route that directs you to I-495/Capital Beltway) can be made quicker by taking the Intercounty Connector (MD-200) either from I-270 or I-95.
From I-270 (via the ICC, EZPass Required)
- Take Exit 9 - I-370 east to MD 200/Sam Eig Highway and follow the signs to I-370. Take I-370 for 2.5 miles.
- I-370 becomes the ICC/MD-200 East - same road, just the signs change. Drive for a little over 5 mile.
- Take Exit 8 - Georgia Avenue and follow the signs toward Olney. Travel north on Georgia Avenue for 1.4 miles.
- Make a right at the traffic light onto Old Baltimore Rd. Follow Old Baltimore for 1.2 miles.
- At the next traffic light make a right onto Olney-Sandy Spring Road/Rt. 108.
- Olney Theatre Center is .4 miles away on the left. Use the left turn lane at the 2nd traffic light to turn into our parking lot.
From I-95 (via the ICC, EZPass Required):
- Take Exit 31B - MD 200 (Intercounty Connector) West. Travel approximately 10 miles
- Take Exit 8 - Georgia Avenue and take the ramp towards Olney. Travel north on Georgia Avenue and make a right turn onto Old Baltimore Rd and follow it for 1.2 miles to the next traffic light and make a right onto Olney-Sandy Spring Road/Rt. 108. Olney Theatre Center is .4 miles away on the left. Use the left turn lane at the traffic light to turn into our parking lot.
From NW Washington, DC:
Via New Hampshire Ave:
- Take New Hampshire Avenue (Route 650) east approximately 18 miles.
- Make a left on Norwood Road.
- Follow the road as it becomes Dr. Bird Road.
- Dr. Bird Road will dead end at the entrance to Olney Theatre Center.
Via Connecticut Ave
- Take Connecticut Avenue (Route 185) out of the District for 4.5 miles
- Stay to the left to remain on Connecticut Avenue at the intersection with University Boulevard.
- Continue another 2 miles and turn left onto Georgia Avenue (Route 97 - this is north of the construction mentioned above).
- Travel North on Georgia Avenue for 2 miles and turn right onto onto Old Baltimore Rd and
- Drive for 1.2 miles to the next traffic light and make a right onto Olney-Sandy Spring Road/Rt. 108.
- Olney Theatre Center is .4 miles away on the left. Use the left turn lane at the traffic light to turn into our parking lot.
Via 16th Street/Georgia Ave.
- When 16th Street & Georgia Avenue merge, travel North on Georgia Avenue for 3.8 miles
- Make a shallow right onto Layhill Road.
- Travel 5 miles and turn left onto Norwood Road, which becomes Doctor Bird Road.
- After 1.7 miles continue straight through the traffic light into the Olney Theatre Parking lot.
From SW/SE Washington, DC
- Take 295N out of the District and stay to the left to 295N/Baltimore-Washington Parkway.
- Travel 4 miles and follow the exit to I-495N/I-95N toward College Park/Baltimore.
- Take the I-95 north exit and travel 3.1 miles to Exit 31B/MD-200W toward US-29 & I-270. (EZ Pass Required)
- Take exit 13 for Route 650/New Hampshire Ave toward White Oak/Ashton.
- Travel 1.3 miles and turn left onto Norwood Rd which becomes Dr. Bird Road and dead ends at the entrance to the Olney Theatre Center parking lot.
- Continue straight through the traffic light to enter.
From Northern Virginia via the George Washington Parkway:
- Take the GW Parkway North to I-495N (Capital Beltway) toward Maryland.
- In approximately 4.5 miles stay to the left for I-270 N. Follow I-270 directions above.
For those without an EZPass:
From Baltimore & Points North
- Take I-95 south to Route 32 west.
- Follow Route 32 west to Route 108 west.
- Travel on Route 108 west for approximately 10 miles.
- Olney Theatre Center is on the right (two miles from the intersection of Routes 108 and 650).
From Virginia and Points South:
- From I-495 (Capital Beltway), take Exit 31 north (Georgia Avenue, Route 97) toward Wheaton.
- Follow Georgia Avenue north approximately 13 miles to the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Route 108 (Olney-Sandy Spring Road).
- Turn right onto Route 108 and travel 1.5 miles to Olney Theatre Center, which will be on the left.
From Frederick, Maryland and Points North & West:
- Take I-270 south to Exit 9: I-370 E toward MD-200 E. Drive for 2.4 miles.
- Take Exit 3A toward Shady Grove Road and turn left at the light on Shady Grove. Drive 1.6 miles
- Turn left onto Muncaster Mill Road and drive 1.7 miles
- Turn left onto Bowie Mill Road and drive 3.3 miles
- Turn right onto Route 108/Olney-Laytonsville Road
- Olney Theatre Center is 2.3 miles ahead on the left. Turn into the parking lot at the traffic light
A word about public transportation...
Olney Theatre Center is challenging (but not impossible) to reach via public transportation. We recommend taking Metro to the Glenmont Station and from there, either using a ridesharing service like Uber or Lyft or taking a bus. From Glenmont you can take the Y2 or Y8 buses. Alternately, buses run to Olney at various hours from the Shady Grove Metro and Rockville Metro stations. Consult Google Maps below or WMATA to plan your route.